Week 7 Story

 Drona

One day, a young boy was skipping rocks with his father. His dad was showing him the best rock skipping technique but the boy was too small and weak to properly throw the rock. The father told him that one day, he would be strong enough to skip rocks even further than him. The little boy was filled with hope and courage and remembered that moment for the rest of his life. They walked back home and went to sleep.

The next morning, the boy had to go to school and his father had to go to work. In the middle of the school day, a very bad thing happened to the boy. The school was raided by a local militia looking for child warriors. The shot up the staff and killed all of the teachers and workers so that only the young kids were left. The little boy and his friends were forced to join the army against their will and fight against the government. 

When his father got home from work, there were two men on his porch. 

He asked them, "what's wrong?" 

and the men responded, "Your boy has been taken by the local militia."

The father was filled with rage and fury. He would soon embark on a journey to get his son back. The father gathered the other fathers that lost their children and they went on a search for their kids and a hunt for their kidnappers. 

After months of trudging through the forest, they ran into a child that escaped. The child explained to them where the rest of the children were and the parents stormed the facility. After a long battle and a handful of casualties, the young boy and his father were reunited. 

Bibliography:  Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie

Author's Note: 

I really enjoyed writing this story. This story is very different from the original but I wanted it to be that way. I was inspired by the first line in the original that says, "young men should be trained to bear arms." This specific quote made me think of a child army. As soon as that seed was implanted in my head, I could not get it out. I knew I had to write about a child army. I also liked the aspect of the original story that the boy had no mother. I kept the father son bond in tact throughout my story because you do not hear of that often. In most cases in real life, it is usually the mother that is always around and not the father. I liked that about this story a lot and wanted to make sure that stayed the same. I chose to have the boy kidnapped, but I wanted to make sure the father would be able to save him. I did not want this story to end in a sad way. Overall, I enjoyed writing it and hope you liked reading it. 

Comments

  1. Hey Robbie! I really enjoyed your story, especially the happy ending. It’s really cool that you were inspired by one line; your creativity expanded on that one line and made a unique and interesting story. The beginning details with rock-skipping shows how close the boy and his father was, which adds to the meaningfulness of the happy ending. Overall, it was a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robbie! I really enjoyed your story. I noticed that you cited a version of the Ramayana in your bibliography, but what exact part from the Ramayana inspired this? I have not read this version and thus do not know where that line occurs. I did like how you added the happy ending! I hope the boy and his father were able to throw rocks together again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robbie!
    I got chills reading your story. It is so interesting to think about how in parts of the world, situations like this are the realities for children. I enjoyed your story and was so engrossed in reading it. It started out very wholesome and relatable and turned into something dark. I love that all of the parents went full beast mode when it came to saving their kids. You could tell how close the father and son were, so he would do anything, even march into a dangerous situation, for his son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robbie!
    Reading your story reminded of the movie Beasts of No Nation as the plot seemed to mirror the reality portrayed by the movie. It definitely felt like something that could've happened, which is a sad truth to face. I enjoyed how you managed to convey the strength of the father's love for his child and what he would do to save him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 6 story: House of Fire