Week 11 Story: The Chase remastered

 One day, a little boy, his father, and his grandfather went out on a hunt. The goal was to go out and turn the young boy into a man by getting him his first deer. The family was trudging through the woods trying to find the perfect spot to try and see some deer. Eventually, the boys found the spot and saw a deer. 

After spotting the deer, they started making their way across the mountain and started tracking it. Hours and hours of searching later, they finally found the deer. It was perfectly still and all you could hear was the wind blowing through the trees. The deer was on the bank of the river just about to take a drink of water when all of the sudden, a noise spooks the deer. 

The deer immediately takes off running and the boys start chasing it. On and on the men rode on their horses and the deer kept sprinting along. Finally, the boy got close enough to the deer to shoot it with an arrow right through the heart. Once hit, the deer immediately fell; however, this was no ordinary death and the grown men knew it. The young boy was confused why his dad and grandfather were acting so strange. The deer was making strange noises and eventually cried out "save me please, save me son." 

Little did they know the deer was actually an old ancestor of the young boy. The deer was the reincarnated soul of the grandfathers father. The boy was instantly overwhelmed with sadness, fear, and regret. The boy would choose to never hunt again in fear of murdering another soul of a family member. 


Author's Note:
I liked the original story, but I wanted to make it more recent and relevant to our lives. I was recently watching a TV show where a family went hunting for deer and that is where I got the inspiration for that portion of the story. Also, it worked out well because the original story involved killing a deer. I wanted to incorporate the idea of reincarnation because I find it to be a very interesting idea and it was in the original story as well. Furthermore, I kept the idea of a chase but I prolonged it to mimic what a hunt for a deer is normally like up until I added some extra fun stuff for creativity. 

Bibliography:  Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).



Comments

  1. Hi Robbie!

    I really enjoyed reading your story! It was easy to follow and I liked that you explained the reasoning in the author's note. What was the show that inspired you to write this story? It has a really meaningful message behind it that can resonate with many people. I look forward to reading more of your stories, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robbie! Good work on your story! It was well written and I understood what was going on. However, one thing I would suggest is to be more specific in your author's note about what happened in the original story. I'm not sure that I read the original, so I was hoping to find out a little bit more about what changed and what was the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 6 story: House of Fire